So, you want to start selling online, using online marketplaces is a quick and easier route market, but what do we exactly mean by an online marketplace? Well, it’s an e-commerce site that allows third-party sellers to list and sell their products, just like a normal market, but ‘you’ sell online! There are many benefits to selling online but one of the biggest is they already have a pre-existing customer base which means you immediate get access to a huge number of customers.
When we think about online marketplaces, the first ones you probably think of are probably eBay and Amazon but are they the best for you?
Even if they are the most popular today, this doesn’t mean that they are the only choices for your business. It is very important to choose a marketplace, based on what you want to sell and where you want to sell it
To help you with that, we’ve compiled a list of the best online marketplaces their top categories and the things to consider when selling on this marketplace:
Amazon Map Availability (check where Amazon is available)
Amazon – an American company based in Seattle, Washington. With close to $280.5 billion in net sales in 2019 (according to statista.com). In 2019, Amazon was ranked first in terms of company revenue among global publicly traded internet companies .
The best categories you could sell there, are:
- Beauty products
- Electronics & Tech
- Pets Products
- Home and Household
- Amazon SEO and the A9 Algorithm should be on the top-of-mind when creating your product listings.
- Invest in A+ Content, Enhanced Brand Content, and Amazon Stores.
- Build a comprehensive advertising strategy and use Amazon Advertising.
- Consistent and reliable supply chain, inventory management, and fulfillment.
- Use Amazon Brand Registry to protect your brand and create a trusted customer experience.
eBay Map Availability (check where eBay is available)
eBay – a multinational e-commerce corporation that facilitates international consumer-to-consumer and business-to-consumer sales. With nearly every category of product, you can imagine and 182 million worldwide buyers. )
The best categories to sell on there are:
- One-of-a-kind collectibles
- Offer fast and free/ low-cost shipping and free returns.
- Optimize titles and product descriptions for eBay search.
- Assure you are offering accurate, detailed information and photos in your listings. This will help your customers while avoiding confusion and dissatisfaction.
Etsy Map Availability (check Etsy payment availability)
Etsy – This marketplace is pitched towards “crafters, artists, and collectors”. The only excepts are the items categorized as “Vintage”, “Supplies” and the unique factory-manufactured items. Covering a wide range of items that include art, photography, clothing, jewelry, food, bath and beauty products, quilts, knick-knacks, and toys.
The best categories to sell there, are:
- All handmade and unique items
- Etsy’s advertising options, including promoted listings and Google shopping ads, both of which can be managed through the advertising dashboard are worth checking.
- Sell unique, high-quality products.
- Beautiful product photos.
Walmart Map Availability (check where Walmart is available)
Walmart – an American multinational retail corporation. Operating a chain of hypermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores with site that brings in 127 million unique visitors every month. There is a large overlap between the shoppers of Amazon.com and Walmart.com. More than 57% of Amazon buyers are also shopping on Walmart.com (according to consumer research gathered by Tinuiti). Having an existing presence on both marketplaces will give you a better chance of capturing those overlapping shoppers.
The best categories to sell there, are:
- Sports Fan Apparel
- Electronic Goods
- Affordable products.
- Top-notch customer service.
- Having the best Inventory management and fulfillment.
Rakuten Map Availability (check where is Rakuten-TV available)
Rakuten – The Rakuten marketplace is often called “the Amazon of Japan.” Rakuten, Inc. is a Japanese electronic e-commerce and Internet company based in Tokyo.
Best-selling categories are:
- Personal Care Products
- Diet Drinks
- Smartphones & Tablets.
- As Rakuten merchants can customize their own shipping and return policies be sure yours are competitive and always offering a good deal on cheap/free and fast.
- Use Rakuten’s partner options for integration, shipping, and payment services
- Your customer service should be consistent and responsive as the feedback system is allowing customers to rate sellers for each purchase.
What about Wish, Geek Fruugo and Alibaba? Isn’t Alibaba the largest in China?
In this first part, we listed just a few of the hundreds of online marketplace choices available to e-commerce retailers. The right marketplace for your business highly depends on your vertical, budget, and end goals. Understanding this is key to truly succeeding online If you want to understand more and speak with us about how we can help you chose the right marketplace, or just to be kept informed – subscribe to our free weekly newsletter here. You can also check our free Marketplace Health check and also check how optimized your listings are.